[Live-demo] Re: [Marketing] Marketing artefacts, subversion directories, and source formats

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Mon May 17 17:25:21 EDT 2010

I realise that I'm trying to solve all problems for every situation, which
is making the issue of solving source data format a challenge. And I make it
worse by thinking of extra scenarios that we should be covering.

Requirements as I see it:

1. Easy input to ensure documents are maintained by non technical people.
* WYSIWYG type editing.
* Need to be able to include formatting and URLs in the next (including
bold, italics, etc)
* Ideally will limit formatting options to a fixed set so that consistent
styling can be applied to the final product.
* Need to be able to embed images in the text, and place the images through
the text. (Eg, in a quick-start guide you may have 2 lines of text, followed
by a screen snapshot followed by text, then snapshot, ...)
* Ideally, users will be able to see what their documentation will look like
on a PDF output, so that can increase or decrease words to fit a set number
of pages.

2. Version control of docs

3. Multiple Output formats
* Need to be able to output to HTML with embedded images.
* Need to be able to output to PDF.
* Need to be able to output to OpenOffice/Word, so that the outputs can be
cut and pasted into other material.

--
Tyler, it sounds like Drupal forms might be close to meeting above
requirements.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Tyler Mitchell <tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca>wrote:

> Good question Hamish.  You've solved the problem in my head too.  We only
> need some basic web forms to fill in and then generate content from the
> database.  That's how abstracts are handled, though admittedly they are
> pretty simple with only a blurb of text.  I can set up an input form using
> drupal to collect this information.  This has the added benefit of being
> accessible in various forms - as an RSS feed, rendered into HTML by the CMS,
> list views, table views and custom access by mysql.  Anyone else want a
> quick tutorial on making web forms in our drupal site?
>
> Tyler

Geospatial Systems Architect