[Live-demo] Re: [Workshops] Anyone want to use the OSGeo Live DVD/VM during workshops?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed May 19 22:47:55 EDT 2010

Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Oscar Fonts wrote:
>> Yes, it would be nice to have all the workshop & tutorial applications
>> preinstalled in the LiveDVD, so people can recall things @ home.
>>
>> BTW, I was thinking of editing a USB instead of a DVD. Cameron, do you
>> think that the image would fit in and work fine in a 4 GB memory
>> stick? Any drawbacks you can think of?
>>

> Oscar,
> I understand that someone else (Alex?) has successfully copied OSGeo
> Live onto a USB stick. As noted, the USB has less space than a DVD, and
> we are now running out of space on the DVD and need to start making
> decisions about how we reduce the size of the image.
> Some of our options include:
> * Not including Windows and Mac installers
> * Asking all applications to use the same example datasets
> * Have all applications use the same Java version
> * Limit the applications on the DVD. (Hopefully this won't be a major
> issue for FOSS4G 2010, but will likely be an issue for FOSS4G 2011)

Yes, I have a 3.2 GB image specifically intended for use on a usb stick.
It is identical to the Final DVD minus the windows/mac installers and
will be happy to provide a download link if you'd like to try it.
It's not posted on the main site yet to help avoid confusion and because
very little testing has been done with it. I haven't tried it on a stick
yet (need to clear space up on one) but I believe Hamish has.

Thanks,
Alex