[Live-demo] Saving 600mb of disk space

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 05:38:07 EDT 2010

svn directories are indeed an example which should not be added. It is
possible to exclude them:
Q. From the command line how do I exclude paths matching a pattern?
A. To exclude directories: findup \( -path "*/.svn" \) -prune -o
   To exclude files:       findup \( ! -name "*.py[co]" \)

But actually the good solution is not having .svn directories in /usr and /opt.

I have fslinted /usr on my harddrive since ages(+5y), and never
encountered problems from that (well at least I was never aware of
any). Maybe check if there are any directories not owned by root -
these might contain files that might be changed. Perhaps you can
exclude scripts as well, as they are more likely to be changed than
binary files, and most likely don't use that much disk space.