[Live-demo] Re: contributor and translator files

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Sep 21 08:25:22 EDT 2010

El 21/09/10 14:20, Cameron Shorter escribió:
> As Hamish has picked up, I've now moved contributors and translators
> into rst format, which is not included into the {lang}/sponsors.rst wiki
> page.
>
> Hamish, I did consider keeping files as csv and creating rst as you
> suggest, but decided against it because:
>
> 1. I think our only target for our translators and contributors is for
> our documentation.
>
> 2. It makes creating the target documentation very easy, and we can run
> rst build using "make html" and not bin/install_main_docs.sh, which
> makes it easier for translators. I'm actually hoping that we will be
> able to have translators create their translations on windows computers
> if they so desire.
>
> 3. Creating rst tables from csv is not as simple as I expected, as you
> need to get each cell in a column to have the same number of chars. (so
> you can't simply do: s/,/|/ )
>
> If you feel really strongly about this, and want to write such a script
> instead, then go ahead.
>
> On 21/09/10 22:04, Hamish wrote:
>>> please keep contributor and translator files as .csv so they are easy
>>> to parse.
>>>
>> (write a script to automatically create .rst sources at build time if you
>> like, but preserve originals. no need to push through emails and osgeo
>> ids
>> to the reST version)
>>

>> thanks,
>> Hamish

Cameron, you can create tables in rst using CSV-like syntax

Check: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#id1

Example from above link:

.. csv-table:: Frozen Delights!
   :header: "Treat", "Quantity", "Description"
   :widths: 15, 10, 30

   "Albatross", 2.99, "On a stick!"
   "Crunchy Frog", 1.49, "If we took the bones out"
   "Gannet Ripple", 1.99, "On a stick!"

Best

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas