[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Aug 10 08:21:54 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> it seems the pgRt version is about 4x as big as the original
> OSM postgis DB. does that copy all OSM ways or just the roads?
> apparently topology is not cheap :)

Interesting. I never compared it. The import program creates two tables:
vertices and ways.
Vertices are actually not needed anymore after the topology has been
calculated. Maybe the indices require more space? They are needed for faster
routing results.

> ? is or is not the possibility to specify a bounding box when
> calculating topology and loading it into the database?

The topology script can maybe do this, because it's an SQL function, but the
import is done by some program named "osm2pgrouting". It first parses the
.osm file and picks the right data and then runs the function. There is no
parameter to specify the bbox in osm2pgrouting.

Can maybe some other tool make me an extract of the already downloaded osm
file? Osmosis maybe? I don't know so well about them.

> > Yes, I already made it smaller for the workshop, using just
> > Denver downtown. Because it takes too long on weak notebooks
> > to run the topology function.
>
> bbox?

Yes, the workshop uses some really small area only. I need two SQL dumps for
those, who get lost and need to start over with some working database
eventually. They don't require much space, when they are packed. 2 or 3 MB,
I think.
But this is all included in the workshop package, which is not only made for
the LiveDVD.

Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan