[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live 4.5 - OSGEarth

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Mon Feb 28 14:44:29 EST 2011

Am Montag, 28. Februar 2011, um 06.49:16 schrieb Hamish:
> Cameron wrote:
> > Maybe we should test to see if the application is being run inside a VM,
> > and provide a popup warning if so.
>
> pop up a message at login next to the hello message perhaps?
> or just amend the welcome.txt message with a note which is shown to
> everyone.

osgEarth ships with a new executable which checks OpenGL capabilities:
osgearth_version --caps
My proposal is to start the tutorial calling this to check wether the viewer
will work. I will ask the osgEarth people for help on this.

Pirmin

> > Is it possible to test if you are running in a VM?
>
> you can look at what's in /proc/cpuinfo, but I doubt that's very reliable.
> part of the point of having a VM is that the experience is seamless.
>

> fwiw, my experience is that VMs are pretty well established with those in
> my department who use Macs (needed to run pc-only software), but as for
> even the most technical-aware pc and unix people, not at all. ymmv.
>

> Hamish

Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
http://www.sourcepole.com