[Live-demo] Re: Review of copyright.html page

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 04:23:43 EDT 2011

On 25/07/11 10:39, Simon Cropper wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> Here are my comments on the text on the page you provided a link to...
> http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/copyright.html
>
> <sniped my text>
>> Software on OSGeo-Live is available under various Open Source
>> licenses, as described on project websites, and copied into the
>> Project Overviews.
>
> It is unclear what you are trying to say here. Is the software copied
> into the project overview? I think you mean that content available on
> the various project websites have been used in the preparation of the
> Project Overviews (presumably the source documents are appropriately
> licensed for this to occur or permission has been obtained from the
> original authors as described is the post
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2011-July/003766.html)

ok, I've simplified the text to:
Software on OSGeo-Live is available under various Open Source licenses,
as listed in the Project Overviews.

>> Data on OSGeo-Live is available under various Open Licences.

>> Attributing OSGeo-Live Documentation¶
>
> Strictly speaking this is not related to copyright. maybe you should
> call this webpage 'legal issues' and break the content up into (a)
> software, (b) data, (c) documentation.

Thanks for this advice, but I think I'll keep page name as "copyright.html"
For simplicity and usability, I'd like to keep all this related
information on the same page, and I'd like to keep the page titled with
the most important part of the page, which is the copyright.

>> As per the terms of the Creative Commons license, if you include
>> OSGeo-Live documentation into a new document, you will need to
>> attribute the authors using text similar to:
>
>> This document includes [Project Overviews and/or Quickstarts] from
>> the OSGeo-Live project which is created by OSGeo-Live authors, as
>> listed under Documentation Authors.
>
> I would prefer...
> This document includes [extent: all/part] of the [Project Overview
> and/or Quickstart] titled "[document title]" created by [author] and
> released under the [licence: CC-BY/CC-BY-SA] licence [URL to Legal
> Code]. The source document forms part of the "[document series]",
> available from [url] and downloaded on [download date].
>
> When part of the document is used, an additional statement must be
> include similar to...
> 1. The original work has been modified [describe how work has
>    been changed], or
> 2. The original work was translated from English to [language]
>
> So, as an example...
> This document includes all of the Quickstart titled "gvSIG Quickstart"
> created by Simon Cropper and released under the Creative Commons
> Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported licence
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode). The source
> document forms part of the "OSGeo-Live Project, version 5.0",
> available from
> http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/quickstart/gvsig_quickstart.html
> and downloaded on 25 July 2011. The original work was translated from
> English to Deutch.

Simon,
I agree that the above text is an appropriate way to attribute an author
in a large 100 page essay where there is space for a few pages of