[Live-demo] Adding tinyows to OSGEO-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 07:55:11 EDT 2011

Thanks Pirmin for putting tinyows forward and volunteering to take on
the mentorship of the project.
I've added a few comments to your answers below. In particular, I'm
looking to see words noting how stable the application is.

On 6/06/2011 8:04 AM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I propose to add the great WFS-T server tinyows to OSGEO-Live.
> QGIS can be used as frontend for the quickstart.
>
> Regards,
> Pirmin
>

>          • Please describe your application.
>                  • What is its name?
>
> TinyOWS
>
>                  • What is the home page URL?
>
> tinyows.org
>

>                  • Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
>
> MIT
>
>                  • What does the application do and how does it add value to
> the  GeoSpatial stack of software?
>
> Fast and reliable WFS-T server
>

>                  • What language is it written in?

>          • Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user
> finds a bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all
> other OSGeo-Live applications as well. Do you have a bug free, stable
> release, which has been rolled out to production in a number of
> locations? Please discuss the level of testing that your project has
> gone through, the size of the community that uses the application, and
> how long the project has had mature code.
>
> 1.0.0 will be the first mature release of TinyOWS to be that close to
> this ideal.

Can you please expand on this answer. In particular, I'm looking for
confidence that this application is more than just alpha quality
software that a single developer behind it, which still has the
occasional show-stopper bug.

Are there any notable risk adverse agencies using this application?
Please mention them.
Roughly how many people commit to the code base regularly?
Is there an active email list?
Is there anything else you can mention to provide confidence that the
application is stable, and has a stable community behind it?

>          • OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather
> than libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
> command line interface) that a user can interact with?
>
> No

"No" is not a good answer to this question, as we are looking for
applications which can be used on the osgeo-live dvd. However you
mention that you can show off the application via qgis, which I think is
acceptable.

>          • We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which
> are presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in
> OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then
> please mention it.
>
> Olivier has submitted a presentation related to TinyOWS to FOSS4G 2011.
> Dunno yet if it had been selected.
>

>          • With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core
> packagers do not have the time to liaise with every single project
> email list for each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or
> two) to take responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the
> project's communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring
> the install scripts and English documentation are updated by someone
> for each OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application
> and Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate
> releases of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
>

> Pirmin Kalberer
>

>          • OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
>
> Install from UbuntuGIS
>
>          • OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run
> in 512 Meg of RAM?
>
> Yes
>
>          • How much disk space will be required to install the application and
> a suitable example application?
>
> less than 4M
>

>          • We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of
> a common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
> datasets already installed:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
> another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
> appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
> included in the standard release.
>
> Ok, could remove world and france shapefile and rewrite the test
> config file (in custom script)
>

>          • We include Windows and Mac installers for some applications. Would
> you be wishing to include Windows and/or Mac installers?
> Retrieved from "http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply"
>
> Could be nice too

As we are running out of disk space, it seems likely that future
releases will not included windows or mac installers.