[Live-demo] Re: LiveDVD Copyright Ambiguity - speak up if you have issues

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 22:09:01 EDT 2011

Johan:
> Definitely don't make it non-commercial. This is a vague term that
> is hard to define.

+1. This is often quite ambiguous at research universities, where grad
students' stipends are funded by their supervisor's research contracts.

This is what I added to grass_quickstart.rst,.. just before the 4.5 release:
:License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported  (CC BY-SA 3.0)

For works entirely composed by myself, ShareAlike are my terms of contribution.

I am willing to compromise on the SA for overviews pages, as they contain
minimal creative content, and are more likely to be the ones reused in the
reports mentioned by Cameron. Beware of the cases where content is sourced
from upstream!

Also we must be explicit re. the screenshots on the help pages, often they
are sourced from upstream and not under the same license as the ReST docs.

Sure, diff't licenses are harder to clearly document, but anyone including
content from a 3rd party needs to properly check their sources (ie the .rst
files), there are no two ways around that.

It should not be too hard to grep the .rst file and automatically add a
custom line of text at the bottom of the page stating the per-page terms,
if any.

best,
Hamish