[Live-demo] Some problems we found to use the DVD for FOSSGIS conference

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:59:47 EDT 2011

On 16/03/11 05:23, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 03/15/2011 02:43 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>> Am 15. März 2011 18:26 schrieb Otto Dassau<dassau at gbd-consult.de>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tested the latest live DVD version for FOSSGIS conference and found some
>>> issues we cannot really solve. Maybe someone on the list can help?
>>>
>> Hi Otto,
>>
>> I haven't tested the latest release and just remember from the FOSS4G
>> version.
>>

>>> a) The desktop/keyboard appears by default in English. And I had a problem
>>> to change into German language for the workshops we want to do with the
>>> DVD.
>>> Maybe there is a certain procedure I have to follow?
>>>
>> I think it worked when choosing the right language and keyboard at the time
>> you log in.
>>
> Yes if you want to change languages you do it before the autologin. I
> will check if there's an easy way to change the default for the FOSSGIS
> version.

There is a quickstart describing this here:
http://live.osgeo.org/quickstart/internationalisation_quickstart.html

I notice that the description on how to change keyboard types is too
brief. If someone can provide me with a better description for changing
the keyboard, I'll update this quickstart.
>>> b) If I want to run the ISO image locally with VirtualBox, I cannot switch
>>> to full screen mode. The VirtualBox window is not adjusted to the full
>>> Window
>>> size. How can I do that?
>>>
>> As far as I know you need to install "Guest Additions" for VirtualBox. You
>> can find a menu item in the menu of VirtualBox.
>>
> Correct you need VirtualBox guest additions, which can be bundled into
> the disc if you know you're going to use it in this way. I have done
> this before.
>
> So both of these could be addressed with the FOSSGIS custom iso.

How to increase screen size is explained in this quickstart:
http://live.osgeo.org/quickstart/virtualbox_quickstart.html

Search for "Increase Screen Size"