[Live-demo] Re: [Ncwms-users] ncwms to be included on OSGeo-Live?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue May 17 05:06:48 EDT 2011

Jon, I'm CCing the OSGeo-Live list, as there are others who may correct
my statements re Java installing.

On 17/05/2011 6:22 PM, Jon Blower wrote:

> Hi Cameron,
>
> I would hope that this can be done, certainly I hope the code will be
> ready by then.  Whether I have time to finish the documentation before
> fourth of July may be another matter -- can the final documentation
> wait until first of August?

We are aiming to have English docs complete by 18 July, in order to give
translators sufficient time to translate and review before release.

The images for the docs can be inserted a bit later.

> I've just been reading some of the instructions and have a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1.ncWMS is packaged as a standard Java web application (WAR file), as
> is THREDDS.  Does the live DVD already include a web application
> server like tomcat?

There are a number of applications which run inside a servlet container.
Have a look at the install scripts for geoserver and geonetwork (which I
believe use jetty). I'm pretty sure geomajas runs in a servlet container
too.
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/

My understanding is that we set up a separate servelet container for
each application, rather than running all applications inside the same
servelet container.
This is because the LiveDVD is RAM constrained, and having multiple
applications running in a servlet container at the same time uses up RAM.

> 2.Out-of-the-box, ncWMS expects the user/administrator to do some
> configuration in order to add some datasets, also to configure things
> such as a disk cache.  Should I package version in which this is
> already preconfigured, perhaps to avoid writing data to the local disk
> as suggested in the instructions?

Yes, the aim for the DVD is to have an application which is "installed
and ready to run", using datasets which are already on the DVD.
You probably don't want to install all datasets, as one of the tasks
that you may wish to include in a quickstart is loading a dataset.
I'm interested to know what types of datasets would be appropriate, and
whether we already have something suitable, possibly installed for the
rasdaman project.