[Live-demo] Re: Fwd: OSGEO Live 5 USB Distribution testing

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 18:17:02 EST 2011

Cameron wrote:
> I agree that it would be hugely valuable to extend
> the osgeolive packaging and marketing to windows.
> And osgeo4w has done much of the hard packaging
> work. We just need a few people to drive the
> packaging and qa process.

I suspect that converting the osgeo4w apps to be
portable-safe and run uninstalled is rather more
involved than that. It looks rather difficult to me,
but if someone was keen I'd never discourage them
from trying.

at least some of the simpler apps (e.g. ZyGrib and
I think GPSBabel) can run uninstalled already.
Maybe the Java ones are not too hard either.
Probably few of our apps make much use of the
Windows registry, so that would be easier.
Some sort of "start here" batch file which launched
the osgeo4w environment would be needed to set up
the paths etc, but would that mean the user had to
run it from a DOS prompt?

Hamish