[Live-demo] 6.0 alpha1 Status

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 11:21:15 EDT 2012

On 04/29/2012 02:34 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to create a first build (alpha1) based on ubuntu 12.04
> within the next week.
>
> Many of the scripts are working, but this will help us evaluate our
> current status and motivate projects to jump in.
>
> During the whole process we are updating the status spreadsheet [1].
>
> Should we wait for UbuntuGIS ppa to be enabled for 12.04 or should we
> go on without it and record the problems?
>
> Regards,
> Angelos
>

> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc#gid=13

I just finished testing ALL installation scripts. I have recorded the
results in the above status spreadsheet. Some fixes have also been
applied in trunk.

I think our major issues right now are:

1. Java:    Only openjdk has been installed but I realize that some
desktop packages (like uDig, Kosmo...) have a version of sun-java-jre +
JAI bundled within their installation archives. This raises an
interesting question:
"If we allow desktop gis projects to bundle sun-java, why we should not
allow web services (geoserver, deegree etc) to do so too?"
Should we install sun-java (even by hand in the base vm, before running
the scripts, and not by using any automation) and help all the projects
use that SINGLE instance OR perhaps should we remove every instance of
sun-java?

2. UbuntuGIS being available for 12.04 and PostGIS version to be included.

Regards,
Angelos

PS. Sorry for the large number of e-mails the last 12 hours :)

--
Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory