[Live-demo] 5.5 RC1 Status - missing R add-on packages

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:37:23 EST 2012

On 21/02/12 10:22, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Barry,
>> Alex commented out some R elements for the 5.0 release to save space. I
>> suggest talking with him about options.
>>
>   Okay, I guess the current set of packages is okay as long as the
> documentation doesn't use any of the ones not installed - I've just
> had a look at the quickstart and the overview and that seems to be
> okay.
>
>   However I tried to download and install the rgeos package from CRAN
> onto a live-dvd virtual machine and it failed because the VM doesn't
> have the necessary -dev libraries. I guess I'd need to apt-get
> libgeos-dev or something first. I don't think binary packages for the
> R packages exist themselves.
>
>   If we had rgeos I would be encouraged to write a bit more of a
> quickstart showing some buffering and overlay operations...
>
> Barry

Barry, as we are in the final days before the osgeo-live release, I'm
very strongly in favour of not rocking the boat or trying anything even
slightly risky, as we don't have time to fix it.

Hence if the current deployment of R and docs match up, I suggest that
we delay any R updates until the 6.0 release.