[Live-demo] [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] The OGC schema changes related to XLink]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 13:53:35 PDT 2012

On 14/07/12 00:08, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 04:41 PM, Gérald Fenoy wrote:
>> Dear members,
>> I would like to know if anybody take this topic in account for producing
>> the next release of OSGeoLive DVD 6.0. I think it makes lot of sens to
>> make sure that all projects included in next release fit the new OGC
>> requirements. The final update of the OGC schemas should happen on jully
>> 27th so maybe we still get some time before considering this issue.
>>
>> Hope to hear from you,
>> Best regards,

> Hi Gerald and thanks for bringing this issue up,
>
> This is definitely a very crucial matter for all OGC related software
> on the disk.
> The problem is that we do not build everything from source but rely on
> many packages. So this kind of patching should be done upstream for
> each project.
> I realize that this is not the case right now. Actually I am not aware
> of any project having fixed this issue till now (and having released a
> stable version).
>
> Another issue is that we might be against a double standard for a long
> time, since this change will not happen overnight.
> I recall some project discussions about being compatible with both
> xlink versions to continue to support previous deployments.
>
> I am afraid this will be an issue not just with OSGeoLive 6.0 but
> perhaps the next version too...
>
> Perhaps we should update the status spreadsheet to monitor projects
> compatible with this new specification.
>
> Best regards,
> Angelos

My take is that a change in an OGC standard might trigger an update to
docs for a packaged application, but it is not the role of OSGeo-Live to
emphasise compliance of packaged applications on OSGeo-Live projects.

Ie, we might want to update our documentation about OGC standards, and
maybe also update Project Overview docs to note compliance/non
compliance of projects.