[Live-demo] Which version of openjdk should be included on OSGeo-Live 6.0?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun May 27 15:55:07 PDT 2012

On 28/05/2012 12:19 AM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 05:01 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> I have no guidance until you sort out the issue of Java with all of
>> the GeoTools based projects. There was recent interest in configuring
>> a build box against OpenJDK 7 (no interest has been shown in OpenJDK
>> 6). I would recommend catching up with Ben on this subject (as he
>> seems to be the only community member with hardware to donate for the
>> activity). We could also talk to SAC and see if they would be willing
>> to run a "jenkins" build box?
>>
>> I think the best you can hope for is to make these applications
>> available with a note they are running in an "unsupported"
>> configuration. If you have volunteers willing to test; you may be
>> able to detect failures and bump them from the release.
>>
>> For my own part:
>> - I am unable to investigate a failure in OpenJDK 6. An OpenJDK 7 is
>> available for mac now; which may allow me to reproduce any problems
>> found in that environment.
>> - uDig 1.3.2 is being delayed as I recover the build process from a
>> transition to Maven which LISAsoft started (thanks!). While 1.3.2 is
>> expected shortly; I am having some technical difficulties.
>>
> Hi Jody,
>
> There have been talks around here about selection of OpenJDK version.
> It seems that version 6 is default in Xubuntu but on the other hand
> version 7 is more compatible with oracle-jdk 7 since they share the
> code base.
>
> I want to make a motion to move to OpenJDK 7 for the next alpha3 build
> and see how this works out. It seems that Java based projects will
> have to move to 7 at some point in the future anyway...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Angelos

Angelos,
I agree with your suggestion. Assuming we can install openjdk 7 using
apt-get, I think we should be installing openjdk 7 instead of openjdk 6.
As Jody explains, it seems that we will have less integration issues
moving java applications to openjdk 7.
At the very least, lets create a test alpha3 release and see.