[Live-demo] Retiring Geopublisher and AtalasStyler?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:17:35 PST 2012

On 26/11/2012 7:54 PM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
> On 24 November 2012 06:52, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stefan,
>> I see from your blog  that "Geopublisher and AtlasSytler development has
>> ceased" [1].
>>
>> As I have previously retired an Open Source project that I started
>> (mapbuilder) [2], I appreciate that it can be a difficult decision to make,
>> and I suspect you will be feeling a sense of loss. So my heart goes out to
>> you.
>>
>> However, I suggest that you will likely find with one door closing, another
>> door will open. For me, it opened up time for me to get involved the
>> OSGeo-Live project.
>>
>> On a practical matter, I'd like to hear your thoughts on including
>> Geopublisher and AtlasStyler on OSGeo-Live. My feeling is that OSGeo-Live
>> should only be promoting projects with an active community behind it. As
>> such, we probably should take the projects off OSGeo-Live in the next
>> release.
>> Comments?
>>
>> [1] http://en.geopublishing.org/GoodBye
>> [2]
>> http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2008/07/end-of-life-for-community-mapbuilder-we_29.html
>>
> On the other hand, one can see those projects as "orphans" willing to
> have new promoters.
>
> Having them at the Live DVD would help to spread the word about those
> projects that still make sense and need new blood (and for me Atlas
> Styler at least makes a lot of sense).
>
> My 2cts from a (sad) user of Atlas Styler.

Jorge, I understand your point in that it would be nice to find new
communities and sponsors for Geopublisher and AtlasStyler through our
maketing pipeline. However, I don't think OSGeo-Live is the right forum.

OSGeo-Live's target market is new users asking the question "What robust
and stable application would you recommend to do XXX?"
We provide recommendations of the best projects, which have the criteria of:
* best of breed
* stable
* with an active community behind it. This community will answer newbie
questions and apply bug fixes as required. (This is one of our criteria
for joining OSGeo-Live in the first place)

I note that having a project on OSGeo-Live which is lacking in one area
will tarnish a user's experience and reflect badly on all the other
OSGeo-Live applications. We are working very hard to debunk the myth
that "Open Source shouldn't be used for production systems because it is
unsupported".