[Live-demo] create pdf documentation

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 06:05:48 PDT 2012

2012/9/26 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>:
> On 26/09/2012 12:48 AM, Luca Delucchi wrote:
>>
>> 2012/9/25 Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> yes, I know. I just upload the new png images (without removing the old
>>> gif).
>
> Once all image references are to .png instead of .gif files, please remove
> the .gif files.

ok removed in r9174

> It is dangerous having two versions of the same file in a directory, as a
> user might correct one, and the other remains out of date.

I found some logos with two versions yet, png and jpg

>> This [0] is a first version of PDF output (please download it only if
>> you are really interested, the file is 50MB), it has a lot work yet
>> (some errors are still in compilation) but it is a good starting
>> point.
>

> I agree, it is a good starting point.
>
> What would be really valuable if you can achieve it is to work out how to
> have images from the project overview embedded in the text (eg: moving the
> icon to the right rather than having the icon on its own line)

yes, it is possible using ".. only:: html" and ".. only:: latex" I
would like to try it in the next weeks
other think for example is to remove OGC logo from every standard and
leave only one when start the chapter about OGC standard

>>> I already try something but I have to work on it.
>>> Right now the simple way (that I see) to create a good html and pdf
>>> (pdf only for one language) documentation is:
>>> - rename index.rst to index.template and copy index.template to
>>> index.rst during compilation (I already try it and it works well)
>>> - create a index_pdf.template, copy it to index.rst and substitute a
>>> variable to set the language required for PDF file during compilation
>>> (I'm trying this but sed doesn't work)
>>>
>>> what do you think about this solution?
>>>

> This solution might be suitable, but I'm failing to understand the need to
> rename index.rst
> What is wrong with having a index_pdf.rst alongside index.rst?

because sphinx read index.rst and not index_pdf.rst. Your idea was
also mine but I discover that it doesn't work. If someone as a better
idea or working solution he is welkome

> And which index.rst are you referring to? doc/index.rst ? doc/en/index.rst ?

doc/index.rst, here there is definition of all the other
doc/$languages/index.rst and I'd like to have PDF file only for one
language

> Hamish often weighs in on these discussions about scripting decisions with
> valuable advice, and may have something to contribute here.

yes sure, hamish have you some idea?
do you want try my changes? I could add a diff....

--
ciao
Luca

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/delucchi/