[Live-demo] "big" data sets on OSGeo Live

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 01:58:13 PST 2013

Peter wrote:
> so it seems my information (ie, this spreadsheet) was outdated,
> therefore my arguments are pretty moot.

I wouldn't say entirely moot, it is an ongoing battle to add
more but to use no more space, so it is good to revisit the
problem often, and make sure we haven't missed anything.

> Thanks for your detailed analysis!

we've been fighting this one for a long time :)

> BTW, let me reiterate that we are willing to sponsor the
> extract costs of going to 8 GB (while being aware of the
> concerns about DVD limitations).

that is good news! I expect the current situation of just being
able to do it on a 4gb usb stick but the experience isn't so
great will be similar to trying to run with 512mb RAM. Possible,
but pushing the limits. 8gb usb stick as with 2gb RAM would mean
a very nice experience indeed.

Hamish

ps- the 6.5beta2 iso is up, but not yet to the California mirror