[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live 7.0 - big data version?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jul 9 09:18:22 PDT 2013

Well, extra data can actually be placed directly on the the flash drive
separate from the OS, the same way we put the Mac/Win installers. That
data is accessible when booted, it's just read-only last time I tried
unless you use sudo.

I agree about better representation of types of data, but I don't feel
the need, as I've explained previously, to enlarge the normal distro
with lots of additional files. Big Data tools should be able to work on
subsets. 3 point Time Series over a small are actually plenty useful in
a workshop setting (eg. Current , 50 year, 100 year - Avg Temp in a
single NetCDF). This demonstrates all the concepts required to know how
to handle a 100 time segments later over the globe when an adequate
computer is given the task.

If you want to offer such a large dataset I suggest it's a separate
download (or user initiated script) to pull the data to the extra space
on their stick or an easily re-packed variant of our setup called
osgeo-live-jumbo.iso

Thanks,
Alex