[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live 7.0 - big data version?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 17:03:48 PDT 2013

>>  Or if you don't care if a user can access files on the stick
>> from their nativeOS, you could just format the whole thing
>> differently (not sure what bios  booting needs).

Peter:
> I don't see that this would be bleedingly necessary for OSGeo Live,
> so we might simply switch to ext3/4

bootable USB requires FAT32 to keep the BIOSes happy. (so unfortunately
live linux filesystems must exist inside a fat32 wrapper)

you can partition a usb stick, with the FAT one first then a ext2 one
later (or ext3/4 sans-journal) but then any time you put it in a Windows
computer you get a helpful "I don't recognize what this is. Should I
reformat the drive for you now? [OK]" pop-up, which is not ideal, and again
it would be nice for users if they could copy the extra data off onto
Macs and Windows PCs without having to be booted into the live disc to
do it (so: fat32).

As Alex indicated, extra data could fit on a larger USB in the same
way that we do the Windows and Mac installers, outside of the compressed
core file system. A boot-up check looks to see if they're there or
not and makes user-visible desktop links (or not) based on the results
of that test.

regards,
Hamish

ps- head's up: we still have to redo the sums to be sure, but it looks like the 100mb+ earthlook demo will have to be moved to the user-downloaded or extra data section. Rasdaman is using more space than any other install script in the build environment (1.2GB uncompressed [including tmp build files, so the real number is probably more than half that, but that's still too much]). verification of that and more details on all projects' usage coming soon. It is hoped that the new common netCDF dataset can be a useful demo for Rasdaman as well (or tweaked/augmented so that it could be).