[Live-demo] Fonts in OpenJDK7

Activity Workshop mail at activityworkshop.net
Tue Jul 16 14:01:58 PDT 2013

Thanks for your feedback, both of you.

On 15/07/13 22:52, Hamish wrote:
> yes, try  'apt-get install gsfonts-x11 ttf-dejavu-extra'
I already have both of those.
> for motif apps also you now need to do a manual install of the
> xfonts-100dpi and xfonts-75dpi packages.
I have those two packages installed too.  Which of course doesn't
guarantee that OpenJDK can find everything properly, but at least those
packages appear to be installed.
Thanks for looking that up.

On 15/07/13 19:51, maplabs at light42.com wrote:
> this is a screeen shot of OpenJump on Live 7 build 10357.. lots of
> tightly spaced dialog boxes.. looks ok to me !  I have not heard of
> font spacing issues from the field...
Thanks a lot, that confirms what I'm seeing.  So it must just be a
personal preference thing, personally I just don't like how it looks.
Using sun java things looked much more like native programs, but now
they look quite different and not as nice.  I tried switching to a GTK
look-and-feel and that gave me better-looking fonts, but also gave me
other problems instead.

Anyway, if it's just a taste thing and noone seems to mind that much
then I guess it's not a problem for OSGeo Live.  I am hearing complaints
from Ubuntu users though, for what it's worth, referring to java
programs in general.