[Live-demo] Retire MapTiler?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 17:35:11 PDT 2013

I'd like to hear thoughts on whether we should be retiring MapTiler.

My thoughts are that we should be helping new users find established
Open Source projects, which typically are projects which have a strong
community behind them.
I note that MapTiler hasn't changed version number since OSGeo-Live 3.0,
and is still reported as a beta status.

I also note from the Ohloh metrics, there seems to be very little
development:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/metrics.html

I suspect that users might be moving to another project instead? Eg:
GeoWebCache?

On 23/07/2013 9:03 AM, OSGeo wrote:
> #1167: Retire MapTiler
>

> Comment(by hamish):
>
>   I find the MapTiler program to be still useful and relevant, and would by
>   willing to maintain it on the live dvd on an ongoing basis. (it's tiny and
>   zero maintenance anyway so I don't mind much)
>
>   Since it just works, it doesn't matter that there hasn't been a new
>   version in ages.
>   It just means it is mature; the GDAL backend it uses regularly updated so
>   it "gets updates" that way.
>

>   regards,
>   Hamish

Software and Data Solutions Manager

Geospatial & Data Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source