[Live-demo] Retire MapTiler?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jul 23 07:25:31 PDT 2013

All,

I think that unless a package/project is getting in the way of something more important, lack of custodian, space on the LiveDVD, etc. that should be perpetuated indefinitely.  I also believe it wise to add in a note or README to the effect that the version being viewed was last updated on <SOME-DATE>, with some sort of indication that the project has matured and/or has been dead-lined.  Including some links to alternate projects might even be appropriate.

Should there possibly be a CLASS of projects on the DVD that has been deemed mature/end-of-life, but still available?

I have to admit, that I have a hard time throwing things away myself.  So my remarks should be taken with a grain of salt.

Lastly, I believe having a history of projects around over the long term has some value to it.  Even if the project is removed from the DVD I think it wise to keep it available as long as possible, regardless of the support structure, as long as it doesn't impede future work.

Bobb