[Live-demo] Let's bring the OSGeo live packages to debian!

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:48:29 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

One of the goals for OSGeo live 8 was having more programs packaged as
deb files. Although we are still far from installing everything from
deb at least some programs were packaged, and this actually helped the
build process a lot.

With OSGeo live version 8 released, perhaps now is a good time to make
sure those packages get into debian as well.

The steps that you need to do are well documented in the packaging
pages of the debian GIS policy [1]. I'd suggest that everyone who
currently has a package or wants to build a package at least does the
first step: filing an ITP bug. This is just a way to make sure that
nobody else starts doing the same thing without contacting you.

Debian freeze is approaching (5th of november), so better no
procrastination, or your package will not be in the next release :-)

So for those of you sitting at a boring talk at foss4g or cannot sleep
after having had many great talks: start bringing packages to debian
:-)

Johan

[1] http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html