[Live-demo] Retire MapTiler from OSGeo-Live

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:13:10 PST 2015

Hi Even,

On 02/07/2015 12:47 AM, Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> Looking at the install script in
> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/blob/master/bin/install_maptiler.sh , I can
> see that the package should be downloaded from
> http://maptiler.googlecode.com/files/maptiler_1.0.beta2_all.deb
> But this is now a dead URL.
This file was present for the 8.5beta1 build, so it was removed the last
couple of days.
> I have not tested recent builds of OSGeo-Live so
> it perhaps works through other means, but this isn't really encouraging at
> first sight... (but you've at least the package on previous releases of the
> Live DVD)
The package has been restored in our download area:
http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/maptiler/maptiler_1.0.beta2_all.deb

> I've been able to find an unofficial mirror with sources at :
> https://github.com/calvinchengx/maptiler
>
> Regarding GSoC, gdal2tiles.py was, for sure, developped as a SOC project and
> is hosted by GDAL, not sure about the gui of maptiler.
Do we know who was the GSoC mentor, so we can find out more details
about the gui?
> But maptiler has a
> forked version of gdal2tiles.py with new features and bug fixes (that should
> ideally be retrofitted into GDAL's gdal2tiles.py if someone wants to take on
> maintenance of it).
Is this forked version of gdal2tiles.py available somewhere now?
> Hamish actually opened/edited tickets in GDAL trac with
> stuff coming from Maptiler's gdal2tiles.py
>
> Looking at http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/maptiler_overview.html, there are
> 3 URLS :
>
> - http://www.maptiler.org/ --> now redirected to http://www.maptiler.com/
> - http://groups.google.com/group/maptiler -> ok, forum still there
> - http://www.maptiler.com/ --> commercial support. No way of finding open
> source code on that site.
>
> So no link to the sources (but the sources must be somehow in the installed
> package as it is Python). But a bit disturbing for *OS*Geo live to not being
> able to point to a site with source code.
Agreed, this does not reflect right.

> Even

Angelos

--