[Live-demo] Retire MapTiler from OSGeo-Live

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Feb 8 14:22:10 PST 2015

> On Feb 7, 2015, at 4:30 PM, Klokan Petr Přidal <klokan at klokan.cz> wrote:
>
> - If anybody is interested to revive my original open-source project published under an open-source license, he is welcomed to do that - under the conditions of the original license, while preserving the original copyright notice, and under the condition his fork of the project is not anymore called MapTiler and does not use original graphical elements and desktop icon of the original application.

Petr,

It would make the most sense if you would create a new repository for this orphaned project, give it a new name, and strip the intellectual property from it that you are claiming would infringe on MapTiler's look and feel. I understand the disappointment of few contributing to the original open source MapTiler version, and your moving on to a business model that allows you to fund the development of the software for you and your clients.

You have left a bit of a open source brownfield [1] as things currently exist [2]. If you don't want these projects that you've left behind to trade on the MapTiler name that you're now claiming trademark, and you were the one that perpetuated them in first place, it should be on you to put things straight. I would suggest you make a new repository with the old code that is open source, minus the imagery, icons, and MapTiler name, along with some sort of link to this mailing list thread that describes the situation. Then someone who comes along can learn the situation and chose to contribute base on that information.

Howard

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownfield_land
[2] I've made a few myself too