[Live-demo] Retire MapTiler from OSGeo-Live

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:01:15 PST 2015

Hi,

On 02/13/2015 11:12 PM, Activity Workshop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a quick look at the MapTiler source, and I agree with those who
> think it should be _kept_ in osgeo if at all possible.  It seems to work
> fine, it looks good, seems very useful and is one of those things that's
> easy to demo too so it fits extremely well.  All credit to Petr and the
> other authors, thank you for this nice piece of work!
>
> I'd be glad to help with the necessary "adjustments" to the code if I
> can, and if help is needed.  From the spreadsheet it looks to be
> unaltered for several versions of osgeo so I assume that it has been
> thoroughly tested and it works.  So the effort to maintain it working
> but without the MapTiler references should be very manageable.  It's
> just a shame that the request was received (and already acted upon) so
> suddenly before the release, it would have been better to have more time
> for preparation.

I believe that there is time to re-brand this package within the next
days if we get enough volunteers to help :)

> What I think we need now is a stable base of the source code and a way
> to build a package suitable for osgeo.  Unfortunately it seems that the
> code on github (I found two versions, both identical) is _not_ the same
> as the one on the osgeo DVD.  Github (and googlecode) have 1.0alpha3 and
> osgeo has 1.0beta2, and despite the innocuous-sounding version numbers
> there are huge differences between them.  I assume we want to go forward
> starting from the osgeo code, unless someone has a more complete source
> package somewhere?  Could this be put up on somewhere like github too?

I have already created an git clone of the svn source code history and
it would be easy to merge version 1.0beta2 extracted from the deb file.

https://github.com/kalxas/maptiler

> About the differences between the gdal2tiles.py files provided by gdal
> and maptiler, that sounds like a complex issue but maybe that doesn't
> have to be resolved immediately - this conflict has been around for a while.
>
> About the MapTiler icon, personally I can't see any reason why we can't
> continue to use it, at least in the short term.  The image is
> BSD-licensed and is already "out there", so we should have no problems
> using and redistributing it.  Maybe the icon can be changed later, but
> the priority now should be to get the software available again.

+1

> And about the name "IceTiler" - is this open for discussion?  I
> understand the tip of the hat to Iceweasel, but maybe a more descriptive
> name would be more appropriate here - something to give a clue what the
> software does (like the name MapTiler does).  It doesn't tile ices.
> Might I suggest some alternative names, like "MapSlicer" or "TileGenie"
> instead?  Actually it looks like those names have gone already, but
> something else in that direction maybe?

MapSlicer sounds very nice to me!

> Regards,
> activityworkshop