[Live-demo] OSGeoLive 9.5 status: pre-RC - Jupyter Notebooks

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:15:45 PST 2016

Hi,

This discussion is not only related to the work made by Massimo and
other contributors, but has further implications on how we include new
projects in OSGeoLive:

So far, Jupyter has been included in the development builds as a natural
evolution of the IPython project (which was also recently included in
OSGeoLive), so Jupyter never followed the path to be officially included
[1]. As we speak (far past the feature freeze date) only the overview
doc is committed so one could argue in favor of dropping Jupyter from
this release completely...

Furthermore, as part of the Jupyter setup, a big number [2] [3] of
Python projects/libraries were also added to OSGeoLive, as soft
dependencies to support Notebooks, without official review or decision
by the community, just by following volunteers' vision of what
functionality should be demonstrated by the Notebooks. Part of this
vision was to keep OSGeoLive relevant in terms of tools and trends in
the open source geospatial world.

Now the proposal is to select a subset of Notebooks to present to the
community in order to get feedback and build a notebook community to
support further adoption. A natural follow-up question is: should we
also select which supporting projects will be included? If we drop some
of the Notebooks, their dependencies should also be dropped, right?

So how do we decide which notebooks/supporting libraries to keep? And
how do we do that without being disrespectful to all volunteers who
contributed their time to maintain the Jupyter/Python stack for some
months now (including hacking notebooks, creating debian packages,
mentoring or participating in the GSoC project)?

Here is my proposal:
1. Massimo and Brian are named official maintainers of Jupyter, as the
only actual contributors of Notebooks [4]
2. Jupyter maintainers have to provide all the needed documentation
(overview and quickstart) ASAP, else Jupyter is dropped from 9.5
3. Jupyter maintainers get to decide which Notebooks to include in the
final iso.
4. If they disagree, the community votes weather to include all
notebooks OR drop Jupyter from 9.5 release and re-evaluate for 10.0

Regards,
Angelos

[1]
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#How_to_add_a_project_to_OSGeoLive