[Live-demo] OpenJDK

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 23 14:48:14 PDT 2016

On 03/23/2016 02:28 PM, Pieter du Plooy wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Maybe a dumb question.  Would be at all possible to replace the OpenJDK
> with Oracle's JDK in order to test Whitebox GAT
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~hydrogeo/Whitebox/download.shtml ?
>
> It does not work with OpenJDK.
>
> Pieter

I have WhiteBox Gat running with OpenJDK8. At least my laptop does not
appear to have Oracle Java installed. I haven't tried any particular
tools besides opening the GUI interface. What is incompatible?

Otherwise, we could tell you how to do it, but no we are unlikely to
ship Oracle JDK by default. If you look back at our history there was
previously a very large effort to get everything working with OpenJDK so
we could ditch Oracle's JDK. The reasons were both technical (the Oracle
installer was a hassle to manage, and doesn't allow for packaging
dependency) and legal (we didn't know if we had permission to
redistribute) and ethical (it's not open source).

Thanks,
Alex