[Live-demo] Should OSGeo-Live drop from 2 to 1 release per year?

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:48:38 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 26 October 2016 at 00:44, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com> wrote:

> Extending impromptu IRC discussion today ...
>
> With the increased maturity and stability of OSGeo-Live we are considering
> reducing the OSGeo-Live release cycle to once a year, releasing just before
> the global FOSS4G. (Previously we have been releasing twice per year).
>
> With 8 years of continual development and refinement, and hundreds of
> contributors, OSGeo-Live now boasts an extensive, thoroughly tested baseline
> of quality software, documentation and translations.
>
> While we have considerably improved the automation of the OSGeo-Live build
> process, with increased content and quality releases are still very
> volunteer labour intensive. Each release requires a significant amount of
> manual work to chase down projects, update documentation and translations,
> test and fix releases.
>
> Also because of the depth of material, there is a reduced proportional
> improvement of each release compared to the previous baseline.
>
> Therefore, we are considering reducing OSGeo-Live release cycle to once per
> year, stretching out our release cycle and allowing the OSGeo-Live community
> more time to maintain both new updates and our extensive baseline of
> material.
>
> Thoughts?

I fully agree to reduce the OSGeo-Live release cycle to once a year,
but I would like to see an extended and longer release cycle because
contributors can have more changes to contribute, specially to have a
timeline like:
- September - January: new software, update English documentation
- February - June: beta/RC, translation updates, testing
- July: release

--
ciao
Luca