[Live-demo] Retiring mapnik from OSGeo-Live?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri May 12 07:34:46 PDT 2017

On 05/12/2017 04:13 PM, Brian M Hamlin wrote:
> this is nothing but a loss of OSGeo-Live, and further seperates
> Openstreetmap (which is thriving) and OSGeo. I dont see Dane "requesting
> removal" actually.  It appears to me that OSGeo is asking "is this a
> candidate for removal" and the answer is Yes.

You need to read Danes email better:

"
 Because I am the individual that added Mapnik to osgeo-live originally
 I would prefer you remove it.
"

OSGeo-Live is not thriving because there isn't enough participation of
the people involved in the projects included in OSGeo-Live.

If projects want to be included in OSGeo-Live for its use in workshops
and the like, they will need to contribute to the maintenance of their
project in OSGeo-Live.

> As I said in the weekly meeting recently, OSGeo does itself no favors by
> framing things this way.. The future to my mind is three products, with
> OSGeo-Live being the lesser of the three in some ways. By asking "remove
> from OSGeo-Live" you are making the least of the products define the
> relationship of OSGeo to others...
> last observation: Mapnik is an obscure and complex beast, and has few
> candidates for new users
> But arent many of the core OSGeo projects "obscure and complex beasts" ?
> Isnt OSGeo in the realm of such things, by definition?

This adds nothing of value to the discussion.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1