[Local-chapters] osgeo-philippines local chapter initial questions

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon May 16 13:20:12 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-16, at 1:32 AM, maning sambale wrote:

> We will start adding more info in the coming weeks.  I was given
> clearance by my current employer to devote some time to set things up.

That's great to hear you have some support already!

> 1.  Do we need to form a new legal org in behalf of the osgeo local
> chapter?  I maybe be able to pool in several local orgs to start the
> meetings/discussions but do we still need another formal org for the
> local chapter?

Good news: Definitely no legal entity is required, though some chapters to pursue it for various reason.  The only thing you'll need is a primary contact person as liaison back with OSGeo and then whatever structure your group decides is most useful.  Some have their own board elections, other don't.  Some make a legal org so they can get a bank account, others just handle it less formally.

> 2.  My current employer is primarily focused on using osgeo apps for
> natural resources management, as a result, our local network is within
> this field.  While we envision that the org should be inclusive of all
> application domains,  our particular bias towards NRM field might
> unconsciously exclude other application domains.   Is this OK?

I encourage you to use your NRM field as much as possible to get started, but make it clear that your primary interests are in open source geo software and keep inviting others.  I wouldn't worry about doing anything "unconscious" ;-)  Friends like to find friends, and just starting a chapter discussion is encouraging for lots of others.

Keep it up and best wishes!

Tyler