[Local-chapters] Exhibition Starter Pack

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Wed May 16 05:09:43 EDT 2012

Dimitris,
the Starter Pack organization is still emerging and open for further
refinement. Some direct answers to your questions (split because they
touch several issues):

1. what exactly we mean by "shipped regionally" (i.e. whom to contact etc.)
-> "Shipped regionally means that there should eventually be at least
one pop-up banner in the region (in your case that is Greece). This
banner can be "shipped regionally" - meaning from one event in
Thessaloniki to the next event in Athens. If that is more expensive than
buying a new one, then go shop for another (but OSGeo will only be able
to fund the first one, sort of). You have to organize locally where the
stuff (banner, flyers, DVDs, etc.) is stored between events.

2. (i.e. whom to contact etc.)
-> Each Local Chapter should have a chair who will typically also be the
OSGeo liaison officer. She should be the one to contact for this kind of
logistics. In Germany for example we have a full fledged legal entity
with elected chair, co-chair, treasurer, secretary, a system
administratoin team and so on. Eventually this would be the goal for all
chapters with ambitions. For the time being you (as Greek LC chair) you
should start talk to yourself :-) or maybe use the list.

* what exactly we mean by saying for example that banners should be
printed locally (this is a rather expensive - if I understand correctly
activity)
-> This means that OSGeo will not print banners in the USofA and ship
them to Greece but that you buy them locally and get reimbursed by the
OSGeo treasurer. Before (!) buying anything at all you have to get
approval from the Marketing Committee chair (Cameron Shorter) and the
treasurer (Daniel Morissette, he will be CC'd when you talk to Cameron).

Hope this clarifies things.

All,
please keep asking if things are unclear and correct me if I got it
wrong or you have a better solution.

Cheers,
Arnulf

--