[Local-chapters] Fw: Call for OSGeo projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2013

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 00:35:13 PST 2013

Hello all, and sorry for cross posting.

Below you can find the OSGeo call for GSoC projects. Feel free to
forward it to any interested people and mailing lists.

Best!
Anne

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:39:12 +0100
From: Anne Ghisla <a.ghisla at gmail.com>
To: OSGeo Discuss list <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>, OSGeo Google Summer
of Code list <soc at lists.osgeo.org>, OSGeo Education List
<edu_discuss at lists.osgeo.org> Cc: Hamish Bowman
<hamish.bowman at gmail.com>, "Adkins, Dustan" <dadkins at ball.com> Subject:
Call for OSGeo projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2013

Hello all!

like past years, OSGeo is applying to become a mentoring organisation
during Google Summer of Code 2013 [0,1].

As part of the application process, I welcome developers from every
OSGeo project to update the relevant Ideas pages (see past years' Ideas
pages for guidance [2]). I welcome every project to choose a
representative, in order to make communication more effective.

I am extending the call to OSGeo-Edu mailing list, as many open
geospatial labs would like to spread the news among their students, and
professors can consider to apply as mentors.

The deadline for OSGeo application is end of March [3]. Thanks in
advance for your contribution!

== For developers and potential Mentors ==

Is there a feature that your pet project would benefit from, and can be
developed by a student in roughly three months under your supervision?
It's time to describe it in the Ideas page of your project, write about
it in the usual communication channels (mailing lists, forums) and
unusual (university pinboards!) and look for the student who will
complete it.

== For potential GSoC Students ==

First, read carefully the eligibility criteria from Google [4], then
contact the developers of your favorite(s) project(s). Feel free to
either pick up a proposed Idea, or to propose your own.

We look forward for a vast geographical and linguistic (both spoken and
compiled languages) diversity in contributions!

More details on OSGeo application will be forwarded to SoC list soon.

[0] Google announcement:
http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
[1] OSGeo participation since 2008:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013
[2] Ideas pages:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012_Ideas#The_ideas_pages
[3] Application deadline and full calendar:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013
[4] Eligibility criteria:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page
[5] OSGeo 2013 Application: