[Local-chapters] [OSGeo-Discuss] Legal entities for Local Chapters

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:56:10 PDT 2015

On 18/03/2015 8:01 pm, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Just a few notes from experience: Running a legal entity to organize
> things actually eats up a good chunk of volunteer resources which could
> be better used to actually promote Open Source, organize conferences and
> so on.
+1 I'd argue that local chapters should do their best to avoid creating
a legal entity where possible.

Ask:
* What do you gain by being a legal entity?
* Can you make use of another legal entity instead (eg the OSGeo
Foundation)?

Acknowledge the extra effort required to:
1. Finance a legal entity,
2. Collect finances to feed the legal entity,
3. Expend effort filling all the official requirements of a legal entity.

Of note, the OSGeo Australian/New Zealand chapter are not a legal
entity, and have successfully run the international FOSS4G conference
(with official requirements backed by the OSGeo Foundation)

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager