[Geo-inquietos Madrid] Geoweek 2019

CARMEN DIEZ carmen10maica at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:30:32 PDT 2019

Hola, aquí os dejo una invitación de una compañera de Missing Maps para
participar en la Geoweek de este año por si os animáis....

'Dear Mappers,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Rachel Levine and I am the
Missing Maps Program Coordinator for the American Red Cross. On behalf of
the entire Missing Maps community I wanted to reach out and say a big thank
you for your participation in a past OSM Geography Awareness Week (GeoWeek)
events! Over the past five years, in partnership with the American Red
Cross, MSF, HOT, MapGive, YouthMappers, PEPFAR, and many more, we’ve held
hundreds of events and we can't wait to  see what the community can
accomplish this year!  For 2019, we’ve really been inspired by young people
all over the world and their organizing, today in particular.  Because of
that, we’ll be focusing on Climate Change for GeoWeek2019.  We’ll send out
more information on the topic & suggested tasks as we get closer to our
event dates.

OSM GeoWeek calls on teachers, students, community groups, governments,
private sector organizations, and map-lovers around the world to come
together to celebrate geography and make maps with OpenStreetMap (OSM), the
free and openly editable map of the world. The purpose of this event is to
actively contribute to OpenStreetMap. This year, OSM GeoWeek will be held
during the week of November 10th - 16th. OSM GeoWeek presents a great
opportunity for students and colleagues alike to participate in something
both meaningful and fun. As you know, participants don’t need any special
expertise, just basic computer skills. Events can be of any size, and
registration is easy, just fill out this form and your event will be
registered on both the GeoWeek and Missing Maps event pages.  We’ll be
updating the OSM GeoWeek website for more information on this year’s events
and suggested tasks.  We would love to see your group represented again
during OSM GeoWeek!

The Missing Maps project is a joint effort founded by the American Red
Cross, British Red Cross, the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team and Doctors
Without Borders (MSF-UK). The objective of Missing Maps is simple: to map
the world's most vulnerable communities so that local and international
NGOs, communities, and individuals can use the maps and the data to better
prepare for and respond to crises affecting the areas. The project seeks to
literally and figuratively put people, and their communities, on the map.
Missing Maps takes an open, collaborative, and community-based approach and
is powered by the enthusiasm and hard work of digital/remote volunteers.
Please see Missing Maps for more information. Since the project started in
November 2014, almost 90,000 volunteers have participated. We would love
your assistance in helping this number to grow and in celebrating our
upcoming 5th birthday, also this November! To learn more about hosting a
mapathon please see http://www.missingmaps.org/host/.

We hope you can join us again this year! Please share this invitation with
your colleagues and networks, and especially students and help us spread
the word by using #OSMGeoWeek2019 on social media.  If your organization
would like to participate again this year, our networks and the wider
Missing Maps network can provide you with the information and materials
needed to host a successful mapathon. Regional support is available in some
locations, so make sure you register your event.  Please let me know if you
have any additional questions and I look forward to hearing back from you!

All the best and happy mapping,

Rachel Levine

(on behalf of the OSM Institutions Group and the Missing Maps Partnership)'