[webmap-discuss] OGC Membership for Open Source developers

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:00:05 EDT 2006

Forwarding Carl's response back to the OSGeo list (as I got the address
wrong the first time).

My comments inline.

Carl Reed OGC Account wrote:
> Cameron -
>
> Thank you for the additional thoughts. I think you have provided the
> initial
> set of requirements for a special level of membership in the OGC.
>
> The key appears to be the potential to develop reference implementations
> that implement OGC standards that can be made globally available for use by
> anyone, anywhere. I think that this would be a very good thing.

Developers also sometimes like/need to contribute to writing the
standards too.

If you are worried about loss of membership, you may want to add a
criteria like:
"Must be a developer with commit access on the following open source
projects: ..."
You could add to the list as developers apply for membership.

> We are definitely not trying to prevent anyone from implementing
> specifications before they are approved. FYI for this group, all (I mean
> ALL) candidate OGC specifications are released for a 30 day public review.
> This is fairly early in the adoption process but not so early that the spec
> is not fairly mature and well defined. Anyone can go to the
> http://www.opengeospatial.org/specs/?page=requests page and download these
> candidate specs. They are publicly available. Just be aware that, based on
> the comments received during the comment period, the spec could change a
> bit
> before final approval and formal release by the OGC membership.
>
> Of interest to me is whether the open source community is receiving the
> call
> for comments. If not, then we (OGC) need to do a better job of announcing
> the call.

I believe so.  I've subscribed to an OGC email list which sends out
announcements and I suspect others have done the same.

And as we generally are in contact with OGC members we often hear gossip
via the grapevine.

> WRT IPR, no matter what sort of a membership level we can define for the OS
> developer, a membership agreement will need to be signed and the individual
> (or organization) will need to abide by OGC IPR. This requirement is not
> unique to just the OGC. Agreement to abide to IPR policy is an integral
> part
> of every standards organization that I deal with (OASIS, IETF, W3C, ISO,
> ITU, IAI and the list goes on).

Yes, I don't see a problem with a membership agreement.
The key barrier is cost of membership. For an open source developer who
is not being paid and giving away their time for free, it feels like a
slap in the face to be asked to pay money to someone who will be
benefiting from your efforts.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net