[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal to find an alternative to Collabnet

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Mon Jul 17 19:13:14 EDT 2006

Allan,

"Is it so important to move things to a common environment for
developers?"

I didn't think this was a discussion about moving. I thought we were
talking about new projects that don't already have an infrastructure
using CN. We already beat the moving current projects horse to death
already. There's no need for a project that has a home now to move to
CN, I think we've all said.

" Is it so important to move things to a common environment for
developers? Is the cost of doing that so high that it starts to cut into
development?"

No it isn't, but also a dead horse. For new projects, it doesn't cut
into development.

You can all choose to believe me or not. I have said that the CN site,
for all its faults, was incredibly easy for MapGuide to be placed onto,
the SCC works, our migration from Perforce was simple, we're up, we get
hits, we handle downloads - lots of them, we get news out, etc.

We spend zero time monitoring it, running it, etc. We spend our time
developing MapGuide and working with our community, which is exactly
what we should be doing.

So it is working for us as an infratructure site. And this seems like a
big benefit for new projects that don't have an infrastructure. What am
I missing?

Rather than beat these dead horses, I'd rather we simply let the web
committee do their thing and create a project for moving the site in
February but in the meantime we get on with the foundation's business
which means taking as much of the overhead of running a project off of
developer's hands as is possible until then, promoting their work, etc.

If this is developed before February even better. But telling people not
to use the infrastructure now and spending endless cycles talking about
what we already agreed on - i.e. CN is not working well in general - is
not furthering the foundation's charter.

If a project doesn't feel in a rush to do anything and wants to wait,
it's their prerogative, of course.

So does the WebCom have a timeline for making a decision, setting this
up, etc? If I don't see one by October there will be yet another project
setting up yet another site by next February, I can tell you that.
MapGuide isn't about to be homeless. We like hobu's Plone site for
MapServer quite a bit, and will start our discussion around that if we
don't see some progress by OSGeo by October.

I worry about these discussions - which feel circular to me - because I
fear that we will go down in history as the foundation that discussed
content management infrastructure endlessly instead of doing something
great for its projects.

Gary