[OSGeo-Discuss] I just saw this link go by my email ....

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Jul 27 06:45:21 EDT 2006

Hi Paul, if you sent that out already I apologize ... it was news to me ;-)
Randy George wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> 	Very helpful overview.
>
> I didn't know - "GeoServer includes support for the Z39.50 catalog server"

Not sure it still does, I think this feature was dropped due to lack of
interest a couple of releases ago. I am watching GeoNetwork
and looking for an excuse to collaborate. And now I need to track the
osgeo data group as well ... oh dear.
> Seems like an OGC Catalogue service (or something like it) would be a useful
> service for OSGeo to host, since public OWSs hold a lot of promise for the
> data side of open source.

Indeed holding a nice FeatureType heiarchy, with SLDs to make it look
pretty would be a great service ;-)

But I am pretty sure you wanted to focus on where the data is,
GeoNetwork does provide a nice open source
catalog implementation perhaps we could find a machine to run it on.
> I would think NSDI(http://www.fgdc.gov/grants )would want to implement at
> least a catalogue service for USA agencies (part of One Stop). OSGeo is a
> 'bit' more internationally oriented and could better perform the role of
> international OWS cataloguing.
The GeoConnections discovery portal is nominally Canadian, but you can
find lots of international content
mentioned. I think Tom knows more.

Jody