[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Mon Jul 31 00:29:41 EDT 2006

Aaron Koning wrote:
> I think you are spot on Bob! Do you have a web server in mind?
All,

Some more thoughts.

To tell the truth, I think I prefer to develop on a plain old PC
architecture.  I've done some stuff with Java on the PALM, with Win on
an IPAQ, and they all came up short in the end for one reason or another.

I think the route to go with something like this, is NOT to use a
specific portable OS, but rather concentrate on using a Micro PC of some
sort (the OQO with Linux, comes to mind) and use the same old tools
we've been using for everything else.   My database of choice for the
storage, at least for points, would be MYSQL, much lower overhead for
storage and retrieval.  The Mapping side is a different story, but speed
and simplicity would be the order of the day.  While there's no reason a
Spatial database couldn't be used for the mapping, I would suspect that
the management of the mapping data might be easier with static SHP files
in the near term.  Although using a Regular PC OS would help with
database up keep in the syncing process as well.

Also, don't forget, for a well rounded out system, the MapServer on the
portable device should able to update it's Datasets for the mapping side
of things in a cascading manner every time the Home and Field machines
sync themselves.  It's not just the collected data you need to worry
about.  One good example of why this is a good idea to implement, would
be when you have a group of folks all capturing data in the same general
area, where each needs to see what the other has been doing.  A live
system would work very well for this, but even manually syncing things
every day would show what each operator had captured the previous day.
The same situation occurs when multiple groups are using the same system
but depend on one another for the data they are capturing in performing
their respective business function(s).

Lastly, and more related to a live updating system, would be the
Communications aspects between the servers.  In an always on system
where there is a high level of wireless connectivity, each user should
be able to view every other users input items as they become available.
This will require some thought as well, since the communication will
need to go in both directions.  Think about two or three field personnel
capturing data in a grid pattern next to each other and being able to
see the input of the others as it occurs.  The data should still be
plotted in real time on the portable device even if it's only manually
synced as well, while the communications between server can be
controlled a bit easier in this manner, the same requirements will exist.

The reasoning behind my preference for concentrating on a regular OS
(Not portable specific) would be that these micro portables are only
going to get smaller and more plentiful in the future.   There is also
the notion that lessons learned from the building of things in the
described process would help those that want to ignore the advice and
develop on the portable specific OS anyway.  :c)

bobb