[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 06:56:08 EDT 2006

I recently met up with Jan Kolar when he was in Sydney.

He has been doing some very interesting research into 3D modelling,
including some impressive 3D modeling software.

He wants to Open Source his work and was quizzing me about the best ways
to build an Open Source community.

More at:
http://www.grifinor.net

Jan,
I'll let you discuss your project further if you wish.

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> On 10-Oct-06, at 5:48 AM, Andrew Larcombe wrote on Geowanking list:
>
>> Mike Liebhold wrote:
>>
>> > Also, I'm particularly interested in 'first person',  heads-up,
>> > augmented video views of geodata,
>>
>> Amen to that. One of the key things that is hardly ever addressed  in the
>> technical geospatial world is the appropriateness of the simple
>> cartesian representation of space. However, phenomenologists from
>> Heidegger onward argue that this isn't how we actually experience our
>> world. 'first person' views (either synthesised or from video) can  help
>> us, along with things like viewsheds etc, to understand spatiality at
>> the level of man.
>

> I'm with both of you!  I am interested in starting a geo-augmented
> reality working group so we can at least kick around some of these
> ideas.  Anyone else interested?
>
> Personally, I would like to see open source geospatial tools be
> implemented in the 'true' 3D sphere - true meaning real world
> coordinates for augmented reality so they can be an important part of
> future solutions.  I think we do have a lot to learn from the 3D  gaming
> folks, etc. but I wonder where/how us vs them are reinventing  the wheel?
>
> A few articles from my memory...
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2300 - I rant a  bit
> in the first comment after the article
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2038 - a bit on  the
> OGC spec for 3D web services (W3DS)
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas for bridging the augment/virtual reality
> groups with our geospatial goodness plus some of our GIS analytics.   I
> would love to chat more... how about a working group?
>
> Tyler

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net