[webmap-discuss] Start the discussion - was( Roll Call

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 6 16:37:13 EDT 2006

Hey Schuyler,

Great to see you here also, and since you have more the roll call to a
discuss, I'll happy add my 2 cents.

I would like to see a back end API defined the is neutral with plugins
for the service you want to consume. In fact each layer should be able
to define the service that they want to consume. That way I can have a
web mapping application the pulls tiles or images from ka-map, ESRI,
mapserver CGI, WMS, etc. If you design your API around a single data
source provider you end up with a ka-map of a google API. it would be
better to abstract the service and all people to create scriptlet
plugins to construct requests for images.

-Steve