Roll Call

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 07:04:22 EDT 2006

Hi

My name is Mikel Maron, lead developer of worldKit [http://worldkit.org/]
worldKit is an open source Flash mapping tool which supports GeoRSS, WMS, time navigation, and loads of other stuff

Flash may not be what comes to mind when talking about AJAX, but there isn't so much difference actually.
Actionscript and Javascript are both variations of the ECMAScript standard, and code can be shared across these languages
either by simple, scriptable syntax transformations or through the Javascript-Flash Comm library.

I've been active in the development of GeoRSS, and am a big believer in the power of the format to link different projects and code bases together. For instance, GeoRSS support has led to numerous CMS plugins for worldKit.

I haven't seen CivicMaps mentioned here. http://maps.civicactions.net/. This is a very basic ajax web mapping library, but it does the job. When I was evaluating a library to use for the OpenStreetMap slippy map, CivicMaps was the easiest to get working and is now running there.

Also relevant is mapstraction, a nascent effort to encapsulate the basic functionality of the big 3 free beer web mapping apis. http://www.mapstraction.com/wiki

Best,
Mikel