Cross-project browser based webmapping workshop for FOSS4G

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 16:10:00 EDT 2006

I'm planning to submit the following abstract for a FOSS4G Workshop.
Could you please let me know if your project intends to have someone at
the workshop (so I can add it to the list below).

---

This workshop aims to bring together representatives from browser based
webmapping clients to discuss opportunities to share code and interfaces.

In Open Source, we have the advantage that we can share code with our
competitors.  There are a lot of talented software developers spreading
themselves across a range of webmapping applications - all of which have
similar functionality.  This workshop aims to identify common libraries
that can be factored out from our projects and spread development across
our developer community.

The workshop will cover:
* Brief presentation of each project's design, features and use cases.
* Discussion around a white board identifying common code.
* Identification of libraries and interfaces to be factored out and shared.

We expect representatives from the following projects:
* Mapbuilder
* Mapbender
* ka-map?
* Open Layers?