[webmap-discuss] OGC and google style tiling

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Thu Apr 27 18:07:28 EDT 2006

The issues below are the relatively simple ones compared to the issue I
saw previously raised - are you going to constrain the map scales the
client is allowed to ask for, and if so:
1) how to advertise the scales available
2) how to get the client to ask for the appropriate scale
3) how to handle intermediate scales

Possibly, modern desktop power would allow scaling of images to occur in
the desktop, giving advantages of caching at the browser side. There is
still going to be a contract between the client code to choose the
scales and the server's capabilities, realised through some form of
"getCapabilities" response.

The same contract would be required for the client to restrict - jump
between available scales.

The alternative is to have scale-independent server side - i.e. have the
cache itself generate tiles for intermediate scales seamlessly. This may
be a large server load, quality issues would affect any "intermediate
scale" solution, client or server

The other issue is whether the tiling strategy is one of partitioning or
caching potentially overlapping requests.  Gazetteer driven solutions
can afford to cache requests (tiled or not) since the users will go to
specific areas repeatedly, but eventually a tile based solution would win.

The final issue affecting client design is knowing whether a service can
be tiled. If a tiling proxy is used in front of all services, this may
not be an issue, but you will be bound to a server. If not, you need to
handle tiling strategy per layer. Maybe its possible to have this
seamlessly - i.e. the client API justs accepts a layer handle and works
it out, or maybe this needs to be specified. Some way of choosing the
"aggregate behaviour" would be required if certain layers are restricted
to scales and you want to restrict the client to these scales

Feels like a tractable problem, but it would be nice to see the APIs of
the components defined at both server and client side.

rob