[webmap-discuss] OGC and google style tiling

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Apr 28 07:42:41 EDT 2006

In tile.php, we use two mapserver tricks to work around this issue:

1) draw an image 10 pixels larger in all dimensions than we really
want.  The problem with this is that labels, symbols etc can end up
in the 10 pixel buffer and get clipped, so we ...

2) apply a buffer around the edge of the map to prevent labels and
symbols from showing up in the to-be-clipped area

The resulting image can then be tiled.

There are really two issues that I would like to see solved in
MapServer:

1) producing tiles directly

2) labeling in tiled mode

Producing Tiles Directly ...

It would be relatively easy to ask mapserver to generate multiple
images from a single map draw if you are using mapscript but I don't
see a way to do it using the cgi.  This means that you really need to
request single tiles and then cache them using squid or some other
caching layer in the architecture.

To generate single tiles, you need to automatically buffer and clip
the edges.  This could be controlled via metadata in the map file, or
perhaps should be the built-in-default-way-of-operating.  The extra
overhead would be minimal IMO.

Labeling in Tiled Mode ...

The bigger issue in generating excellent maps is the whole labelling
thing.  Ultimately, the best map would come from rendering the entire
map at each scale as a single image and then slicing it.  This is not
practical since even a 2000x2000 pixel map really slows mapserver down.

In order to do labeling correctly, you need to consider a broader
spatial context than that being drawn and deterministically place
labels so that you get consistent results without duplication (or
with duplicates at pre-determined intervals).  Labels would have to
be able to cross tile boundaries in such a way that combining
adjacent tiles would reconstitute the label.

I don't have a really good idea of how this could be done.  Perhaps a
global, persistent label cache?  Or a pre-generated label layer that
is processed at particular scales and calculates where each label
needs to be drawn.  AFAIK there isn't a good solution to this problem :S

Google 'seems' to have solved this problem, but in my opinion, they
have simply chosen larger meta-tile sizes and have a nearly infinite
set of resources to pre-render the tiles at all scales prior to going
live.  They do not generate the tiles on the fly, and I have noticed
some label duplication in some cases.

On the subject of performance boost, the boost comes from caching the
tiles once they are generated, not from the generation process.  IMO,
the generation process can be relatively slow.  This is especially
true if you want to enable antialiased thick lines and 'curved' text
that follows streets.  The overhead of rendering far outweighs the
overhead of cutting tiles.

Cheers

Paul