Further to context meeting - JSON

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 20:04:16 EST 2006

I humbly appologise for missing the Context meeting. I had my head stuck
in code and lost track of time.

I suggest adding another issue to:
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/wiki/twiki/bin/view/Contextrwg/DiscussionItems

(What is the protocol here - should I just add comments to the page myself?)

There has been discussion amongst web developers (in particular
OpenLayers) about using JSON instead of XML for passing data between
client/server.
JSON is much easier to process that XML for web based clients,
particularly for some of the fring browsers which have limited AJAX support.

I'd like to see the OGC:
1. Recognise JSON as a legitimate alternative to XML that can be
included in Capabilities documents.
2. Provide guidance on how to convert an XML based specification to  JSON.
3. Sponsor a test bed with client/servers which both use JSON.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net