[Mapbender-dev] primary key for mb_user_name?

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Mon Aug 7 04:54:42 EDT 2006

Hi,

i agree with Christoph, the main cause for a unique username is the
fact, that the user table is possibly filled from another source than
the web registration form (I had to do that). Thus the table
definition should reflect the unique user name constraint as the
application already assumes it (e.g. the maxLogin functionality that
uses username).

I couldn't think of a contra argument, but then i don't know the code
by heart as Uli and the others do.

Cheers, Michael

On 8/7/06, Uli Rothstein <uli.rothstein at ccgis.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> do we realy need a unique user name?
> This is a basic decision and there are some pros and cons:
> * the application works with the user_id if the user is authenticated by name
> and password
> * the maxLogin disables an account by username
> Certainly there are much more arguments.
> Let's start a discussion....
>
> Regards
> Uli
>

> Astrid Emde schrieb:
> > Christoph Baudson schrieb:
> >> Astrid,

> >> Although the registration procedure checks, if this username is taken,
> >> it might occur that a database entry comes from another source but the
> >> registration form on the web, f.e. a command line entry or a different
> >> module (someone adds his own registration module for instance).
> >>
> >> Because the user name needs to be unique, it should be reflected in
> >> the database too, so adding a UNIQUE constraint should suffice.
> >
> > Hi christoph,
> >
> > now I unterstand your point and agree to the primary key on the column
> > mb_user_name.
> >
> > Astrid

> --
> --------------------------------