[Fwd: Re: [Incubator] Incubation Progress Page]

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sat Mar 18 18:11:15 EST 2006

Hi,
seems like Chris is happy with cvs2svn and recommends it for use.

Arnulf.

Subject: Re: [Incubator] Incubation Progress Page
From:    "Chris Holmes" <cholmes at openplans.org>
Date:    Wed, March 15, 2006 19:15
To:      incubator at incubator.osgeo.org

Daniel Brookshier wrote:
> There is a tool called cvs2svn. I believe you can set it to import   the
 complete history. What I usually recommend is just to version  your
releases, but that's just to ease the transition and capture the  core
changes. Sort of depends on how old the project is and if it  went
through massive refactoring making older releases obsolete. Of  course
capturing the complete history is indeed optimal for most people.
GeoTools and GeoServer both had success using cvs2svn.  As far as I know
the full history made it over, a svn log gives you all the log messages
that have ever happened.  I highly recommend it for all projects, using
svn is really nice, and really easy to transition to from cvs.  The
commands are a cinch, the only change is how you think about it, and
there's a really good book online about it all.

> To add to your list that are supported by Collabnet
>
> Managed service support - Dedicated staff for upgrades, maintenance,
disaster reocovery
> Guarenteed uptime
> Web statistics - we use Wusage
> Community Manager (that's me) - Site management, mentoring, go to guy
for help
> Web Cache (We use Squid Cache)
> WebDAV (front end for Subversion to allow mounting a repository -  best
for maintaining web space - not code)
> Daily backups
> Offsite backups (we use IronMountain I think)
>

> Daniel Brookshier
> Community Manager
> Office: 972-422-5261
> Cell: 214-207-6614
>

> On Mar 15, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Mark Lucas wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should consolidation efforts on new areas where we can
focus our already taxed resources vs. trying to move something that
is already functioning well.  I suspect that most of the projects  are
similar in their focus and shortcomings, but I'll focus on  ossim in
case I'm wrong.

>> What works as it is:
>>
>> mailing lists:
>> wiki - though I'd like to move to plone - I wouldn't mind moving
towards a standardized look and feel
>> doxygen
>> cvs - though I'd like to move to svn if I can keep all of the history
bugzilla

>> what needs more work:
>> user support
>> quick start examples for developers and users
>> more bandwidth more storage for data sets and tutorials
>> more effective cross collaboration with other projects
>> automated builds
>> automated unit testing, regression testing
>> more formalized freeze, testing and release process
>> marketing
>>
>> I've identified some external resources for high bandwidth,  storage,
and computational power that have offered to host if we  need the
resources.  I think we should focus on expanding with an  external
plone site, storage, bandwidth, and processing resources  (will be
good for the data consolidation efforts) and process where  we can use
help.  As we have done with the wiki, we should use  collabnet as a
portal where the internal resources are not  available or there is no
compelling reason to change.

>> Mark
>>

>> On Mar 14, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
>>
>>> I think it will require further discussion. I definitely want to see
resources transfered to the foundation, but wasting
>>> the effort that has been spent on something like a project
>>> website is not an option.
>>>
>>> Steve

capabilities? For example, we just moved to a plone-based site and
want to continue to use that technology. Can the foundation
infrastructure support a range of best of breed technologies?

>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> For the most part, I think projects that want to stick with their own
technologies would be expected to maintain them for themselves. It
might be reasonable for the foundation to provide a hosting box
outside Collabnet if that is needed.

>>> This is a matter open to further discussion though.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> --
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> +--------------------------------------
>>> I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
>>> warmerdam at pobox.com
>>> light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGF, http://
osgeo.org